delicious carrot cake from Costco for
our Daddy/Daughter Derby

Landon has to feed himself always

Landon in my high heels after a bath-
Check out the tan lines on this kid!

My little Landon is at such a fun age right now. He is starting to talk more, he wants to say prayers (is that not the closest thing to heaven, too?) and he is curious and delightful. Sometimes he is crazy and loud and stubborn, but he is easily distracted from his tantrums and has such a great laugh. I love watching him try to be like Bailey and Myles, but also doing things his own way. What a clown. I'm so grateful for him.
The last few mornings I have been out with my boys in the jogging stroller trying to run again. I had to take two months off for undefined health reasons. I was exhausted by the smallest things - we're not just talking tired, but sheer bone-numbing exhaustion, felt as soon as I got out of bed. All my blood work came back normal and I have a follow-up in a couple of weeks. I think my doctor thinks it is all in my head. What can you do?
During these two months we have made some changes at home. Scott and I have both felt the need to teach our kids to work. I liked being able to do it all myself (especially because I knew it would be done right, how's that for pride?) and it didn't occur to me to do it any other way. Teaching our kids to work has been tough on me. I don't like the resistance from one child in particular and it takes patience to teach kids to clean, put away dishes, fold laundry, make beds, etc. If you know me, you know I'm not the most patient person...
Two weeks ago Elder Neal A. Anderson came to our Stake and he was talking about preparing kids for missions. The two most important things he said to do were: 1. teach kids to work and 2. teach kids to recognize and follow the promptings of the Spirit. As I have been contemplating what I need to learn from this health trial, I felt very strongly on Sunday that it was the only way the Lord could slow me down so I would teach my kids this important gospel principle. Now that we are in the routine of chores and expectations, it is so much easier for me to keep up with the house and my kids do feel good after they contribute.
Sunday I felt like I had learned enough and that I would start to feel better soon. Monday I started jogging (slow going-amazing how quickly you lose it!) but it has been a source of joy to me and I am so grateful to the Lord to feel more like myself. It is still hot in the mornings, but the occasional breeze, or finding a shady path has felt like tender mercies from Him and I am so grateful that the One who notices the sparrow fall cares enough to help me, too! I love the Lord and I trust Him; I feel so blessed in my life.

Comments

Arycca Brothers said…
Yay, I'm so glad you can run again, even if it's slow starting out. And I love that you are getting help at home, it gives you more time to talk to me! Love you guys
Holly said…
I can't wait to see you guys. I love the butt-cheek shot. Always a classic! I hope my kids learn from yours about doing work while we're there- it's always a struggle here!
Kristi said…
I have days like that sometime when I just have no energy to do anything, and I feel so useless. I'm glad you're feeling a bit better! Landon's tan lines are so cute! I agree it can be more work to teach kids to do a chore than to just do it yourself. But it is important for them to learn how and contribute to the family.

Popular posts from this blog

My First Marathon

Rough Day

Mother's Day