New changes

Things are changing...again. My kids will be starting at the neighborhood public school on Monday. We attended the charter school open house last week and found out that not much that I had been promised about the school was true. There will be no ability-based groups for Math or Reading until 5th grade. They do not break into smaller groups for learning and they do not have ongoing assessments. At first it felt like another punch to the gut, another reminder of the great school we had to give up in Arizona. On the bright side, I just saved myself an hour and a half in the car, the kids will be able to go to school with their friends and we will be part of this neighborhood community here.

We went to this school's open house tonight. Everyone was very friendly. The school is plain but the teachers are excited and the staff is very helpful. We saw the curriculum for Myles and this year will pretty much be a review for him in Math, Reading and Writing. I am sick about this but will try to work with him at home. I don't want him to skip 1st grade because he is emotionally immature and I don't want him to miss out on the rest of the 1st grade curriculum, lots of hands-on learning. They will begin testing for next year's gifted program in a few weeks. I don't necessarily want him around "gifted" (read "elitist" here) kids but do want him challenged.

I am trying to be better about just going with the flow. This doesn't necessarily seem right but it doesn't seem wrong, either. My friend said I could either fight the tidal wave or try to get to higher ground. We definitely need to get on a schedule, the kids need social and intellectual stimulation and I need something to tie me here emotionally.

People keep asking me how I am "adjusting" here and honestly, it is harder than I thought it would be. It was so exciting to move to Arizona and to be expecting a new baby. Nothing excites me here. I feel pretty "blah" a lot of the time. I know I tend toward depression so I am fighting it with sleep, exercise and healthy diet. I am doing my best to be present with my kids; I find I check out a lot without meaning to. Sometimes life is harder in ways we never thought it would be.


Comments

Megan Dougherty said…
I hope that when Jay graduates (in four years, haha) we end up in Utah! Just reading your post today made me wish we were living down the road from you so we could just hang out! I missed seeing you this Summer and think you are amazing!
Jen Lee said…
I hope you are happy with Altara. Shayden and Jackson are both really excited that they are going. Has anyone told you about all the kids walking together? I wish I was around more so we could do more things together~ moving to a new place and starting over stinks. I think you are doing a great job of putting yourself out there. You are awesome!

Popular posts from this blog

My First Marathon

Rough Day

Mother's Day